Wow it’s been a while since I blogged publicly! I guess part of me believes that people don’t care to read too much. Life is more about the quick fix. Pictures maybe the first 10 seconds of a video and on to the next source of entertainment. We live in a world geared towards breeding ADD. We are training our minds to need constant input.. but this isn’t the blog for that. In fact! Lanzarote is a place that is quite the opposite of that.
While frequenting the mental institutions to treat my lifelong battle with mental illness, they always taught me about the basics for stability;
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- 30 minutes of sunlight
This list, when practised daily, will create an e environment where mental illness can be managed. Of course the only 2 that they push is the 1, 2 cocktail. These are the two that keeps the mental health world in business. Pharmaceutical companies thrive and therapists stay employed.
Lanzarote is the perfect place for exercise, sunlight, meditation… not sure about the leafy things but I’m sure they have them… and in actuality medication. When I was taking meds I took lithium, which is a salt. I don’t take it anymore but I sure got my fill of saltwater while swimming and snorkeling in the blue waters of the sea. It was the saltiest saltwater I had ever experienced!
Now let’s say the average copay for therapy is $50 a week plus gas to get there and back $20. I used to go 3 times a week, but I wasn’t an average case. My meds were $150 a month, so that’s a weekly cost of $30.. I was paying a minimum of $100 a week for my mental health maintenance.
- Flight from Liverpool to Lanzarote was $38 (I had already flown New York to Dublin for $59 and then Dublin to Liverpool for $18)
- Airbnb accommodation for a week $74 (used a $100 travel credit from signing up a new host)
- Groceries for sandwiches etc $24
- Entrance to 2 museums $5
- Ride on the awesome 6D cinema flight over the island $10
- Bus fare for the week $12.60 including back and forth from the airport
- 2 restaurant meals out combined $24 (which served as 4 meals with leftovers)
- Paint set (so mad I forgot to bring mine) $17
- Offbrand gopro camera plus sd card $85
- Postcards stamps and mailing a package home $45
- Souvenirs $18
- Snorkel mask and breathing tube $9
- Flight to London $30
- 1/5th of my Wi-Fi hotspot bill $10
Total – $369.60 which considering I bought that camera in there also is pretty darn good! Without the camera $285 .. and I ate well.. played hard.. had a private room with an amazing view! Laid on the best beaches in perfect weather, watched a concert and a fashion show, learned new things about a new culture, made new friends that I now consider family, exercised 3 to 5 miles a day walking and swam A LOT!
I will certainly be back to the canary islands. They have so much to offer that I haven’t yet experienced.
Please feel free to share this info with anyone you know that would get anything out of it .. After all .. Caring is sharing!